In the history of Vietnam, the 10th day of the third lunar month has become a great day for the whole nation. This is a great festival to commemorate and pay tribute to the founding of the Hung Kings, the first kings of the nation.
Hung Temple Festival is a national festival to commemorate the Hung Kings who have built the country. Hung King’s death anniversary has become a long-standing cultural tradition in our country. It is the national festival, the whole people and in the Vietnamese folk mind it is the highest sacred. Thus, the festival is solemnly celebrated annually with the national anniversaries, with the pilgrimage “returning to the roots of the nation” of hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country and overseas compatriots living abroad. The Hung Temple Festival lasts from the 8th to the 11th of the third lunar month, of which the 10th is the congress. The festival takes place at Hung Temple, Phu Tho.
The origin of Hung King’s death anniversary:
Legend has it that: Kinh Duong Vuong gave birth to a son, after succession to the throne of his father, Lac Long Quan. Lac Long Quan took Au Co to give birth to a hundred eggs hatching a hundred children who were ancestors of the Bách Việt. One day, King Lac Long Quan told Au Co: “I am like a dragon, she is a fairy, watermelon carved together, difficult to find together.”
So fifty children followed her up the mountain, fifty children followed her father to the sea. Lac Long Quan for the son Hung Vuong’s succession, as king. Over the past 18 generations, Hung Vuong 18th ceded the throne for Thuc Phan – An Duong Vuong.
To commemorate the merits of the Hung Kings, the King Le Thanh Tong was born in 1470 and King Le Kinh Tong in 1601 copied the seal of an alkaline to the Hung Temple, on the 11th and 12th of the third lunar month. to make the death of Hung King. By the Nguyen Dynasty – the second year Khai Dinh officially selected the 10th day of the third lunar month to mark Hung King’s death to commemorate the Hung King and reminding Vietnamese people to commemorate the worship of the ancestors.
Meaning of Hung King’s death anniversary 10-3:
The anniversary of Hung Vuong Kings 10-3 is to remind the children and grandchildren of the roots, the gratitude of those who go before. Every year, every day, the people of Vietnam, wherever they are, go to the roots of the country.
According to the annual tradition, the Hung King’s death anniversary was held at Hung Temple, Viet Tri, Phu Tho. This is the occasion of children from all over the country returned here express gratitude to those who go before.
On December 6, 2012, the meaning of Hung King’s ancestry was recognized by the world when UNESCO recognized the “Hung Vuong worshiping in Phu Tho” as an intangible cultural heritage representing human beings. species. Now, the significance of the death anniversary of Hung Vuong 10-3 not only reflects the tradition of drinking water, but also the pride of Vietnamese people before international friends.
Since 2007, the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam has officially recognized Hung King’s death anniversary as the National Day. Since then, this day has more special meaning to the Vietnamese people.
The ceremony of death anniversary Hung King:
Sacrifices are a collective activity of faith and express a worship and respect, gratitude to the 18 generations of the Hung Kings who have built the country of Van Lang – the first state of the nation of Vietnam. and the gods, the princes, the teres. Collectives can be national (national ceremony), village; It may be a community of people sharing the worship of the Hung Kings, or a group of members sharing the same worship of the Hung King and celebrating the Hung King at the festival of religious beliefs. Hung Vuong worship. Sacrifices are also offerings, but with larger forms and rituals to meet the need to practice Hung Vuong worship for a community of one or more localities. There are usually music, gifts, costumes and there is a jubilee of many people, many dignitaries, who wish to announce the anniversary of the death of King Hung Vuong.
At the ceremony there are two points different to the vows and offerings:
– The sacrifice was a solemn offering on the King Hung and the great gods: Heaven, Earth, Season, Confucius, Hai Ba Trung, Holy Tran, with the country, the gods, the land, the terrain of the village …
– The ritual was also celebrated with the flag, ritual and costume, and the sacrificial object was the animal: a cow, a goat, a pig; fruit, banh chung (glutinious rice cake), rice cake, sticky rice, tea, candy … (vegetarian festival).
+ Sacrifice contents:
1. Hung Vuong worshiping:
Participants in the Prison and the Elderly’s Association participated in the preparation of offerings, the middle-aged men and women participated in the preparation of the Hung Vuong worshiping sacrifice including 18 banh chung , 18 shoes with the legend of the Hung King to the throne Lang lieu with the product is banh chung, bread and shoes to the Hung King. The number 18 represents the 18 generations of King Hung. Besides, there are also some kinds of fruits and cakes, depending on local specialties such as honey cake, gai cake, candy cake and fragrant flowers, sweet fruit; betel leaves, clean water … to offer.
According to the tradition and the theory of the three children, the worship of Hung King was prepared including: Pork, beef, goat meat. However, in order to fit the reality of “plants and animals” of each locality and also to practice saving, so now the offerings are often pigs with white plank or white rooster with white board accompanied by white wine.
According to the folk concept, incense symbolizes the “unconditioned,” fresh flowers symbolize “nature,” the water symbolizes “pure,” the candle symbolizes the “harmony: “means that the four above express the basic idea of traditional belief:” pure, unconditional, natural, convenient. ”
In order to prepare for each festival and to preserve the long tradition, every year, the Board of Executives and the Masses must teach and practice rituals for the successors. Literature readings were given to the celebrants the following year; teaching the techniques of processing gifts shows that the preservation of traditions is carried out in a serious and careful manner; People are carefully guided how to offer gifts and how to do, say anything in worship. Some villages keep and pass on the knowledge of how to select livestock to make offerings and techniques for processing specialties during the festival. The younger generation and the elderly today are still interested in teaching and learning the folk formations associated with Hung Vuong worship. This practice of religious belief has the moral meaning of “Drinking water to remember the source”, “Eating fruit to remember the planters” of generations of people in particular and the people of Vietnam in general for construction work of the Hung King.
IV- Procession procession:
1. The procession:
Today, Hung Kings Death Festival – Hung Temple Festival has been upgraded in size and form to fit and meet the needs of the people to practice worship worship Hung Vuong has become a legacy. intangible cultural representation of humanity. Thus, the procession procession in the Hung Vuong worshiping festival at Hung Vuong Temple relics in Hung Temple and in Phu Tho province are also supplemented by the State and local authorities and people. granted on the form with the motto “both national and modern” and preserve traditional rituals; At the same time, the rituals of worshiping Hung Vuong are still admired, but still respect the honor and respect of the festival. The basic composition of the procession procession is as follows:
– At the forefront is the national flag, the flag; Drums and gongs; Flag team; Endurance, canopy, lung; The procession of the bowl; Van Kieu Van (or stork bowl); Team (ward) Bat sound (music procession); Priest; The formation team; Local leaders and delegates; People’s trousers
2- Steps of sacrifice:
+ The main board consists of 11 to 13 agencies including:
– Priest: 1 he (also known as the Chief or Chief): the chief presided over the ceremony is the elderly who have the highest rank or pass the village or the first, he most of the village … or a prestigious member of the association.
– Compassion: Two (or four) sacrifices help the presbyter and look forward to celebrating the star ceremony to do so
– Deprivation: two or four of them are the helpers (the role of “devotees”) standing on both sides of the work (offering incense, wine, transfer, read …)
– East; The two of them stood opposite the incarnation ceremony (reading) ceremony ceremony. This role can be seen as a form of “show host” – the program’s ceremonial moderator (replacing the role of the homeroom for the uncomplicated squad).
– the main word; 1 he is the custodian of daily relics participating in the capital.
– The auxiliary: 1 he is his daily help from the main board.
+ The board consists of men aged 50 and over, healthy. The members of the family must strictly abide by the guideline of the Party, the law of the state. Families must not be dusted (with mourning) husband and wife, but children obediently obediently. The donated by the villagers and the elderly association and recognized by the local authorities to represent the villagers in the ceremony of King Hung and the tutelary village of the village was ” . At the same time, the villagers commemorate the construction work of the Hung Kings and the royal village.
Mr. President is the main member selected by the village. Standard as the members of the banquet but must have both sons and daughters: the family must be full (both wife and husband), children of that family must be prosperous business …
2.3-The music group consists of (percussion, strings, sets):
– a man who controls the drum (drum); Two gong, drum (co-writer); A man who controls the drum; 1 flute player, or sona; 1 second tug …
2.4- The equipment used in medical:
– 1 in the family; 1 mats in the long family; 1 projected in the money; 1 decanter trees put wine discs and red cloth to clean hands; A table for wine, lights, incense for the team; 1 reading price.
– Traditionally, the customs offices usually wear blue robes, in front of the chest and behind the decoration of the father. If it is a mandarin, then on the decorations of the brood of the Cam: Phuong, crane, stork, chicken … if the martial arts, on the shirt decorated dies Animal: Unicorn, tiger, fox, mouse … wearing white pants, legs to go hia, head with flowers. For his master wear white pants, red shirt, legs to red hia, head with red flowers. There are also two men from the black dress, white pants feet socks, head turban folded black.
The priest and the officials in charge of the service must necessarily follow the Asian pattern in the rhythm of the drum, stepping forward in front of the other. Under the control of the Venerable Siddhartha and the Siddhartha from the initiate (the first week) came on the altar (the last week of the offering).
2.7- Contents of the article:
After preparation is done on the left or left of the family. The team went down to the front of the house preparing for the sacrifice, the main time from 1:30 to 2 hours. The group of priests concentrated in two rows at the money house, separated by a ceremony, facing the communal house. At this time, two chieftains of Vesak and Vishnu were standing in the prescribed position (east and west of the two communal houses) . Before entering the main hall for three weeks (pratice, onion, onion), the rulers must do some work under the direction of the Venerable, traditional followers.
Above are some traditional liturgical ceremonies mainly to organize a worship ceremony Hung Vuong at relics and worship festivals Hung Vuong would be introduced to the worship relics Hung Vuong reference and practice.